Swollen legs in cats, like any other part of the body, is a serious problem caused by the accumulation of fluid in the tissues. Visually, the tumor is easy to diagnose at home by a significant swelling in the affected limb. If the cat has a swollen paw, such a phenomenon indicates various diseases or injuries. It is better to show the cat to the veterinarian. Successful treatment of the disease depends on the accurate determination of the cause of the tumor.
There are several main causes, provoking swollen legs in cats:
- Injury. When injuring a cat’s limb, the integrity of the skin is broken, and various bacteria and microorganisms get into the open wound. They provoke soft tissue swelling and redness of the paw. In the swollen area, the temperature rises. Injuries mean sprains, bruises and fractures received by the cat during a fight or other incident. In such cases, the cat does not step on the leg and is limps.
- Allergy. If an enzyme or poison gets into the animal’s body through the bite of an insect the cat’s leg swollen. Such an acute allergic reaction occurs only due to bites of certain types of insects and because of the contact with chemicals such as detergents or some cat litter. In some cases, an acute reaction is caused by food.
- Mycosis. With weakened immunity even in case of minor injury spores of fungus may get into the skin of the pet get. Most often, the disease-causing fungus affects domestic cats with free access to the street. Mycosis is accompanied by peeling, dandruff and an unpleasant smell.
- Cancer. The tumor often appears when breast cancer and is localized on one or both front paws. Sometimes the tumor appears in the soft tissues.
- Diseases of internal organs. If the cat has problems with liver, kidneys or heart, then the tumor occurs on its hind legs. Most often, the pet tumor does not cause discomfort.
- Joint disease. Swelling of the paws in cats most often appears when arthritis and osteochondrodystrophy.
- Vascular problems. In such cases, the temperature in the tumor does not increase, and the skin around it pales. The cause of the disease is hidden in a blood clot that blocks a large blood vessel, or in increased permeability of the vascular walls.
- In some cases, the swelling on the paw appear after the injection or dropper. The reason lies in the moved catheter when the solution gets outside the vein.
- Sometimes the cat’s leg swollen from bandage. If the swelling does not subside after removal of the dressing, you should put on the swollen paw bandage soaked in vodka, and take the cat to the vet.
In order to determine the cause of the swelling at home, you should watch the pet and feel the swollen limb.
What to Do when a Cat Has a Swollen Paw?
After the reason why the cat has swollen paw is identified, you should urgently start first aid at home. When detecting mechanical damage to the paw you need to fix it and take the pet to the veterinary clinic. You should not try to treat the strain or fracture as the condition of the cat will only get worse. With an increase in temperature in the area of the tumor it is required to make a bandage, moistening it in cold water. To relieve pain, you can make a shot of travmatin. The tumor will not subside after the injection, so you should still take the cat to the vet.
If a veterinarian diagnoses a joints disease, then he/she will recommend to include food supplements such as chondroitin and glucosamine into the pet’s diet. A course of antibiotics, such as Ceftriaxone or Synulox and pain medications (Meloxicam, Buprenorphine) are prescribed. The dosage prescribed by the doctor should not be exceeded.
In case of acute allergic reaction it is necessary to identify the allergen and to protect the cat from it. Then, a shot of diphenhydramine shall be made to ease the condition of the pet. If you suspect a disease of the internal organs, which is indicated by a tumor of the hind limbs, it is necessary to take tests to determine the exact cause. Treatment in this case will be aimed at getting rid of the disease, because the tumor is only a symptom of it.
Remember!If put discharges from the cat’s leg, you should not try to cure it by yourself. The veterinarian must perform an autopsy and drainage. As a rule, pus and tumor appear due to injury of the limb.
In case of fungal infection, complex fungicide sold in veterinary pharmacies will help to alleviate the condition of the cat at home. These include Fungin and Imaverol. If you suspect problems with the vessels, you should massage the swollen leg of the cat every 10 minutes to restore the blood flow. Thrombosis is treated with surgery, to prevent the disease veterinarians often prescribe thrombolytic drugs.
If a cancer is detected by a veterinarian, a surgical operation will be performed. At an early stage of the disease, its outcome is very prosperous.