Unfortunately, there are cases when a cat froths at the mouth. In this difficult moment the owner usually does not know what to do, and he has to pull himself together and render first aid to the pet. Another important point is to determine the reasons of this phenomenon, as it can be a symptom of either a trivial stress or serious illness. In any case, the cat should immediately be brought the vet.
In order for the vet to properly diagnose an animal, he needs to know the exact picture of what happened. Physiological causes:
- If foam from cat’s mouth is mixed with hair, it is an indication that a cat swallowed some of its hairs at a time when licking itself. This is especially true for long-haired pets.
- When the owner sees white foam coming from cat’s mouth, which occurs once, then it is not worth panicking about it. It indicates that the stomach of the animal is empty at the moment. That is, the food is passed into the intestines, and there is gastric juice left in the stomach, which irritates the mucous membrane of the stomach. This results in the secretion of mucus, which is mixed with air and gastric juice, and turns into the form.
- A pregnant cat may release the yellowish foam, which might be mixed with food. Usually it disappears after eating or sleeping.
- There are cases when increased salivation caused by nervous shock of pet can cause foaming in the corners of the mouth.
Problems in the gastro-digestive region and mouth:
- If along with foaming from cat’s mouth there is green vomit, it is a sign that food from the intestine came into the stomach. Also, in addition to food in the stomach, there appears bile. In this situation it is better to consult the vet to determine the state of the animal, because it can be either a sign that the cat just ate grass or perhaps it is a symptom of a quite serious infection of the digestive tract.
- If the cat is frothing with blood, then you need to pay attention to the color of blood. When the blood is bright red, it is a sign of bleeding in the esophagus. The reason may be either the presence of a foreign object or the injury, for example, from a piece of bone. When blood is brown, it is a sign of gastritis, gastric ulcer, liver disease.
- Foam can be an indicator of diseases in the oral cavity. At this time there also occurs profuse salivation. To define this process is possible by means of a visual inspection of the animal. Usually during the stomatitis in the mouth of a kitten there is a good deal of saliva, which under the influence of air turns into foam.
Foaming in the corners of the mouth as an indicator of the severity of reasons:
- Foam in the corners of the mouth is not always a sign of a harmless disorder of the stomach – this can often be a harbinger of serious diseases, such as distemper. In the presence of this serious disease, in addition to the discharge of the foam, the cat drools, and there are no foreign masses, for example, food or hair. Saliva and foam are released quite often. If you discovered this condition, you should immediately contact your veterinarian; otherwise, it may result in a quick death.
- Foamy discharge may be signs of epilepsy in the cat. Usually at this time there are also seizures. In this case, it is necessary to consult a specialist.
- Foam can be the cause of severe poisoning of the pet, at this time it has a wobbly gait, vomiting, diarrhea. In case of these symptoms one should immediately consult a veterinarian.
Of course, in case of something serious, it is better to go to the vet, but you also have to timely provide proper first aid to the cat: If the owner is sure that the cause of malaise is hair, then the cat can be given one teaspoon of Vaseline oil.
Note!In case of diseases in the oral cavity the vet prescribes antiseptic preparations, ointments and antibiotics.
If there are signs of poisoning, you should immediately contact the vet to give your cat absorbents, for instance, activate carbon. When there are convulsive seizures, then a cat needs to be put on a flat surface. The head should be firmly fixed to one side. You must pull the tongue of the pet with a spoon.
Of course, any disease is easier to prevent than to treat; therefore, for maintaining the health of the pet you need to observe some simple preventive measures:
- To prevent the appearance of foam in the corners of the mouth, you need to do regular combing of your pet’s hair.
- Feed of the cat needs to be of fairly soft consistency. If the pet consumes the bones, then you need to make sure that they not injure the mucous membrane of the mouth, esophagus and stomach.
- Regular use of anthelmintic drugs will help to avoid such problems, because sometimes a large crowd of parasites results in to a foamy secretion of the kitten.
- You must provide your pet with regular checks – that will help to see the impending danger and to start timely treatment.
- You need to watch what your pet eats.
- Buy feed and medicines in specialized areas, because currently on the market there are many fakes that could cause such a problem.
Regular inspection and proper care of animals will help to avoid such troubles that frighten not only the owner but also the pet.