Ever and again nearly each cat has crusts on its lips, which can cause essential discomfort to the animal. Especially, it relates to the cases which are accompanied by appearance of wounds, ulcers, pus and abscess that could became a serious problem for cat during having a meal. In some scenarios, the pain can be so strong that leads to partial or complete food refusal. If itching is another symptom, then there would be a high probability appearance of big scratches made by cats claws, that could bring complications in form of bacterial infection.
The Most Frequent Causes
In the majority of cases crust on cat’s lips pose no hazard to animal’s life, as it is only consequence of non-observance of hygiene rules. Exist some breeds, their muzzles must be carefully wiped out by master after each eating occasions. If this procedure is skipped, in the corners of its mouth could begin fall out of hair, appear redness of skin, that mostly ever transform into ulcers. But, first thing first, lets get a view of the most frequently appeared variants:
- Burns. The most typical reason for appearance of small scabs on kitten’s lips. They can burn themselves on stove, tube, hot water, iron and even radiator. A red wound is appeared on the area of scald, it will be covered with dry crust with due time. Small first degree burns heal without treatment within a few days. If on affected area vesicles are appeared, it’s better to show your cat to veterinarian, so that he picks up a good regenerating ointment. Hospitalization is required for animal that have get significant skin lesion after the fire or contact with boiling-hot water.
- Injury. Not only a burn can leads to a trauma. Scratches and bites can also became a cause of crusts on cat’s lips. Do not forget about scratches after unsuccessful falls from trees or other heights. More often than not such wounds are bleeding, covered with dry scab ( that peels off itself during several days). It is recommended to treat with an antiseptic solution deep cuts to reduce the risk of getting infections.
- Bacterial infection. Often occurs in cats with injuries resulting from fights or games with other animals. A yellow crust with pus and blood clots can be found in the area of lesion. It would be great to determine the causative agent, cytological examination and culture should be performed, but because it takes a long time (up to two weeks) treatment begins immediately. Therefor antibacterial ointments are most often used. In severe cases antibiotic therapy is used for several weeks.
- Eosinophilic granuloma. Is appeared frequently in the form of ulcers, but there are known cases when crusts on cat’s lips were definitely caused by eosinophilic granuloma. It is always painful for the pet, it can even lead to a complete food refusal. But in most cases single lesions veterinarians recommend not to touch, as there are good chances that they self-destruct. If the problem spreads to other parts of the body(ears, nose, neck or tail) then the animal is prescribed systemically local drugs or anti-inflammatory drugs. It is important to understand that if you cure one granuloma there is a big chance that it will appear in another place. That is why with eosinophilic granuloma, a major role is played by the diagnosis of the root cause. If initiating agent is indicated, which can eliminate or take under control, then the chances of a successful treatment increase several times. An important role in recovery is also played by a strict diet, which includes the transition to a medicinal form of cat food and a complete refusal of food from the host table. Most often, cats of the Maine Coon, Sphinx, Exot and Persian breeds face with this disease.
- Viral infections. Most of these diseases have similar symptoms – discharge from the nose, eyes, sneezing, tearing, coughing and crusting on different parts of the body (eyes, nose and lips). This refers to calcivirosis, chlamydia, mycoplasmosis, infectious rhinotracheitis. Together with the listed symptoms, animals may look lethargic, refuse to eat. A pet can become infected without even going outside- enough contact with objects that had previously been in infected animals. For diagnostic purposes, nose swabs are taken for tests. Antiviral drugs used for treatment.Symptomatic treatment may also be used if the viral infection is complicated by conjunctivitis.
To say that crusts on cat’s lips pose a serious threat to the animal – will be a wrong. But at least paying special attention to this symptom in pets aged 3 to 7 months will not hurt.