Table of Contents
Every animal has a need for food and water. If your pet refuses from eating, it’s a reason to be worried. However, it doesn’t always mean that you need to seek for help from a vet. Pets often have the same reasons to refuse from food as people. Here are basic reasons:
- Your cat can have worms or other parasites. If a cat doesn’t eat but remains very active, runs all over the house and throws up, it can have this problem. Sometimes they can defecate not in the cat’s litter box, but in other unusual places. In this case you need to go to a vet. Prescription pills and medicine will solve this problem fast. Appetite will return as cat’s organism will begin to lose much energy to get rid of the parasites.
- Changing of the residence, rearrangement in the house. You should know that our pets are extremely sensitive. Changing of the residence will be a real disaster for them that can provoke the refusal from food. The same situation can happen if a pet owner will change the place of the bowl. It is an item that must be in the place your cat accustomed to. Besides, it is better not to locate the bowl in the sunny or too wet place. Cats prefer privacy during eating.
- Castration, oestrus, delivery. Castration is strong stress for all cats. Because of it some cats won’t eat for certain period. There are such cases when cats don’t eat before oestrus. Remember: you shouldn’t make them eat. When the hard period is over, pets will begin to eat hard. You just need to be sure that they don’t overeat.
- Reaction to low-quality food. Don’t try to give your pets such spoiled food as soup, meat or fish that have got sour or have unpleasant odor. It won’t it that. Sometimes owners change pets’ ration and this is also one of the reasons to refuse from food. For example, if you give potatoes instead of usual dry food, be ready that a pet will refuse from it. It is difficult for pets to adapt to a fast changing of food. Sometimes a cat refuses to eat new food. In order to accustom a pet to a new ration, you should combine new food with that you use usually.
- Cleaning materials. Cat’s bowl must be clean. To wash it and get rid of the bad smell, you shouldn’t use any cleaning materials with high concentration of chemical components. Cat’s bowl should be washed with using hot water only. Cat won’t eat food from dirty dishes because it is a noble creature.
- Infectious diseases. To define what kind of disease your pet has it is necessary to take test in a vet. Such diseases are treated only with antibiotics.
- Gastrointestinal tract diseases. Lay your pet on his stomach and touch it. If a cat begins to meow, it means you have found the problem place. But be very careful.
- Volvulus or foreign body in stomach. It can be diagnosed by a doctor with the help of the X-ray. You can solve this problem by doing the surgery.
If a cat refuses from eating, don’t immediately sound the alarm. Firstly, follow closely cat’s behavior and your own attitude to a pet. Think about possible reasons that can cause refusal from food. It is not hard to help your pet if there are no serious diseases. But if a cat refuses to eat dry food for a long time and looks bad, hurry for the consultation with a vet. It is better to attend the same specialist.
Note!Don’t try to treat a pet by yourself if you don’t know the exact reason of refusal from food. Just follow vet’s advice and be patient.
A Cat Doesn’t Drink Water. Is It Dangerous?
What to do when cat stopped drinking water? Cats are very picky about water quality. A pet can refuse from water at all not only because it is ill but because of instincts. Cats usually don’t need much liquid. But if they don’t get enough water, it will cause serious pathologies with the heart, kidney or liver. There are some ways that will help to solve this problem. Sudden refusal from drinking water accompanied by other symptoms like vomiting, anxiety and temperature must alert a pet owner. It is a serious reason to ask for vet help.
How much Water Must a Cat Drink?
When you own a cat, you must always control the quantity of water it drinks. Insufficient water consumption during a long time leads to the serious problems of different organs. Chronic renal disorder, kidney stone, urinary tract infection make cats drink more than usually. Moreover, change of amount of drunk water can be indicative of diabetes, diseases of the thyroid gland. Cats as all animals need clean drinking water. However, they don’t drink much. On average an adult cat (weighing 5 kg) needs 30-180 ml that equals 2-12 tablespoons of water every day. If a pet eats row meats, eggs and canned food, little water is required. Dry food and hot weather mean that you need to give more water to your pet. You should pay attention to the fact that a cat is not drinking water in hot weather. The circulation of necessary water amount is represented as the proportion: 2 ml of water to 1 g of dry food. Dry food contains only 7-12% f liquid. There are some signs allowed to define that a cat gets enough water. Here they are:
- elastic skin;
- shining hair;
- a pet is active and behaves as usual;
- filler for a toilet regularly becomes wet and it is colored in light yellow.
Lack of water causes reverse symptoms and dark color of cat urine, constipation.
Causes not Sssociated with Diseases
If a cat does not drink water from the bowl it does not mean that he is sick. Some cats are persnickety about dishes with water. If the water in the bowl is untouched for a long time, you should watch the cat – many of them drink water from leaking taps, toilet bowls, buckets, water cans and stuff. There are some psychological reasons why the cat does not drink water.
Remember!Cats are suspicious of stagnant water because stagnant water is unsafe for life in the wild.
If cats` feed located in close proximity to the stagnant water, cats will feel distaste because feed may contaminate the liquid. That is why wild animals usually drink water and eat in different places in order that carrion does not pollute the source of drink. Household cats can express their dissatisfaction with the fact that they push a bowl with their heads and paws. Some animals love to play with water scattering it with their paws. As a result, a large amount of dust and dirt accumulates in the bowl that is why the cat does not drink but only eats. Some of them are so squeamish that they stop drinking if they get wet in the cup with their paw. The inconvenient shape of the bowl which squeezes the head of the animal. The best is a shallow and wide dishes. In nature, wild cats have a fear of deep water as the bottom, which they do not see, is a threat to them. Some cats do not like to lower their heads to the water, so it is more convenient for them to lick it from the tap. To draw cat’s attention to water, take the following steps:
- Get the bowl with water off in the other room or in the other place.
- Change water more often and wash the bowl at least two times per day.
- Try to fill the bowl with the same level of water every time.
- Set the drinking fountain.
- Give your cat boiled or bottled water because tap water is harmful for them. Moreover, it has the smell of chlorine and iron.
- Try to add water to dry food. But don’t forget to change such food often in hot weather.
- Put more different dishes with water around the house.
- Change the bowl as some plastic materials have the strong smell. It is recommended to use dishes made from stainless steel.
- Put cubes of frozen soup in the bowl. It helps to keep water fresh and give a pleasant smell to it.
- Stimulate cat to drink by giving special treats.
If a cat eats row meat, sour cream, drinks milk, broth or dairy products, this food can absolutely overlap its need in water. You can try to change dry food to other kinds of food that contain bigger amount of water. Drinking from aquarium or toilet bowl must be prevented as it leads to infectious diseases. Drinking dirty water raises risk of emergence of vesicle calcification
Note!Kittens can’t drink from the bowl that’s why you need to teach them. If they grow up with their mother, she teaches them. Otherwise, a pet owner needs to do it by himself. It is recommended to add some water to the kitten’s food.
Surgery and Delivery
Sterilization is a simple surgery that takes about half of an hour but it is a huge stress for pets. After this surgery cats refuse from drinking not only because of pain, but because they have nausea. Food and water should be given only after 5 hours after the surgery.
Lack of appetite is normal when it lasts about 18-24 hours. People have the same state after surgeries. You just need to bring calm to a pet. Don’t offer new food or milk to your cat as it can cause dyspepsia and influence condition badly. Bowls with food and water should be closer to a pet as a lot of movements cause some pain. If a cat has vomiting, it is necessary to get off the bowls for a few hours and then dive water and food by little portions. Cats have the similar state after delivery. If a pet doesn’t feel good after 1-2 days, you should go to a vet as lack of water doesn’t allow giving the kittens milk.
When Dhould You Need to Sound the Alarm?
If a healthy cat is not drinking water but eating, it says that this cat is ill. If you notice any of these symptoms, immediately visit a vet:
- cat’s anxiety or bad condition;
- a pet smells water, milk or broth but can’t drink it;
- increase in temperature;
- nausea and vomiting;
- diarrhea or constipation;
- abdominal distention;
- located ulceration, nose running, profuse drooling;
- pale hair.
If a pet hasn’t been drinking for 20 hours, dehydration comes. It happens even faster when the weather is hot. After visiting a vet you need to see how much water your cat drinks. If a cat is not drinking water, try to give warm broth. Otherwise, you need to drink it by a pipet.