Table of Contents
Strange crusts, appearing on a domestic cat’s ears, frequently make owners nervous. Some of the most effective pet owners can diagnose a bunch of dangerous animal diseases, such as lichen or scab. But quite often these suggestions are not confirmed by a professional vet. Usually, the creepy crust on a cat’s ears is caused by your pet itself. The matter is that animals by its nature tend to scratch itself pretty frequently. Ironically, this habit makes pet owners even more concerned about their pet health.
Actually, there are a lot of reasons for crust emerging. But, fortunately or not, chances of that your cat is being infected by lichen are pretty the same as the chances of allergy appearing as a consequence of a wrongly chosen diet.
Potential Causes of Crust Appearing
Let’s start with identification of what crusts are in fact, and what are the main reasons of its emerging? First of all, crusts consist of clotted blood, bits of pus and necrotic tissue. Reasons of appearing:
- Tick or blood sucking insect
- Allergic reactions
- Fungal diseases
It has to be noticed, that if illness can be transmitted to people or to other pets, you have to seek medical attention immediately. For prompt identification of such a contagious illness, turn your attention to animals’ behavior:
- Cat constantly tilts its head in one direction and furiously itches its own ear trying to get rid of something inside it. Possibly, a tick got into the ear. To check if it’s true, just take a look at the ear canal. Ticks are breeding very fast, so you’ll notice some kind of dark-brown patina inside and crusts outside it.
- Flea’s bite always makes the cat itch in an infected zone. Usually, for attack flew choose the most inaccessible zone for animals. Wither, neck, head and ears are the most attractive places to bite for these bloodsucking parasites.
- Your country cold? And you have a cat that always wants to go outside for a walk, even if a thermometer shows extremely low numbers? Be prepared for observing some kind of frostbite on its ears. One week later, the damaged area is beginning to heal and the crust appears. By the way, you shouldn’t worry about this so much, because all crust would have gone in a couple of weeks
- Allergy. Don’t treat your pet with some cheap low-quality products and canned food, which can cause a significant amount of health problems with your cat. A strange itchy rash on the body and white crust on the cat’s ear are the main symptoms of allergy. Your pet just itches so intensively, that tears its skin to a pulp.
- Fungal dermatitis disease appearing is a frightening but also realistic scenario. This includes four variations of lichen, scab and other types of dermatomycoses. Actually, symptoms are common for most fungal diseases. Your cat faces problems like fur’s color tarnishing, skin peeling or nasty odor. Furthermore, symptoms like purulent wounds and blisters may cause an appearing of crusts all over the cat’s body.
Firstly, take a closer look on cat’s skin – if there are any crusts not only on ears, we strongly recommend you to take a visit to the vet as soon as you can.
Cat Photos with Crusts on its Ears
Before making a final diagnosis, the specialist has to do a bunch of diagnostic procedures for identifying the real reason for crust appearing. This includes:
- Visual check-up of affected area
- In a case of baldness around the crust doctor takes samples of crust to send them for microscopic examination.
- General and full blood panel.
- If any seals are found around the wound, X-Ray is required. It helps to detect and prevent new problems.
Cats are very exuberant pets, so it will try to resist your touches, especially when the wound hurts a lot. Therefore, make appropriate preparations to avoid an incident.
Treatment scheme is prescribed only by the doctor according to the diagnosis.
A desire to save as much money as possible can lead to adverse consequences. Feed your pet only with high-quality products to avoid cat’s allergy. If you prefer feeding your pets only with natural meet and milk, pay more attention to its freshness. Food change will most likely help to get rid of annoying itch all over the pet’s body. If diet is selected correctly, yellow crusts on cat’s ears will disappear in a few weeks.
There are a couple of treatment courses required for cats that are infected by parasites like ticks. Vet will recommend you exact ones, but here is the list of the most commonly practiced procedures:
- Washing an ear canal with antiseptic.
- Cleaning the surface of the ear from scabs, sulfur and pus.
- Parasites removal and their waste products.
- Covering an ear canal with a special medicine (Amitrazin, Ivermectin, Otoferanol). These are available in different variations, like drops or ointments.
Notice: both ears has to be treated, even despite the fact that only one ear is infected. The matter is that a second ear possibly could be infected too.
For anti-lice covering you can use drops or spray like “Bars”. Also, you can find a special anti-insect collar.
Fungal dermatitisBut if lichen is diagnosed, the owner should be extremely careful not to get infected during the treatment of creepy crusty scabs on the cat’s ears. Sulfur ointment, Clotrimazole, Yam BK are often prescribed as a healing composition.